Find Me Other Places Too:



   Instagram  

Friday, November 9, 2012

Pie #1: Marshmallow Mermaid Pie

Have you seen this movie?
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Probably not. It has been my experience that most people have not, but you are all really missing out. It is such a great film! It is whitty, cute and very different from anything else out there. It tells the story of Jenna, a waitress at a little diner in a small town who is trapped in a terrible marriage and is a pie genius.  The DVD comes with a recipe book and one that has always caught my eye is the Marshmallow Mermaid pie, the first pie that Jenna makes with her mom when she is a little girl. I decided this past weekend to watch the movie while I made said pie. It was a lovely afternoon and the product was delicious! Very, very rich and not to be consumed in large quantities, but delicious!

Pies are quite possibly my favorite thing to bake, purely on the aesthetic appeal. I actually hate traditional pie crust with all of my heart, but I like the idea of it and I can usually just eat around that part. So upon completing my Marshmallow Mermaid pie, I decided to make a month of it. What better month to dedicate to making pie than November? So as I bake, I will share. My goal is one pie per week. Maybe the recipes will be other recipes from "Waitress". Maybe it won't be. Maybe I will make more than one pie in a week. Maybe I wont. The possibilities are endless!

Marshmallow Mermaid Pie
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

9 graham crackers
1/2 C. sweetened, flaked coconut, toasted (I omited this since my family doesn't like cocconut)
5 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted
34 lg. marshmallows (8 oz.)
1/2 C. whole milk
1 1/2 C. heavy or whipping cream
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, grated

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine coconut and graham crackers in food processor until coarse crumbs form.
2. Combine crumbs and butter with fork. Press to bottom and side of 9-inch pie plate. Bake 10 minutes and cool on wire rack.
3. Heat marshmallows and milk in 3-qt. saucepan over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat. Cool completely (15-30 minutes.)
4. In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold marshmallow mixture into whipped cream with grated chocolate. Spoon filling into cooled crust. Refrigerate pie at least 3 hours or overnight.
5. Top with mini marshmallows, maraschino cherries and rainbow sprinkles

No comments: