Find Me Other Places Too:



   Instagram  

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

#hashtag


Let’s talk about hashtags. AKA the most improperly used form of communication in social media. Heaven knows I do not have perfect etiquette (in social media, life, table manners, anything…), but the frequency at which I have seen hashtags being misused has begun to make my temples throb. If you’re unclear on what a hashtag is then you probably aren’t misusing them and I thank you for that, but I will still explain for those who are: A hashtag is the pound or number sign that people use before a statement in social media (example: #goutes #obama2012 #BearLake). Fun fact, hashtags have an actual purpose!! The purpose of a hashtag is to connect various tweets (and now instagrams) with other tweets (and now instagrams) of the same topic. Its not this fun way for you to make a random, lengthy remark on the post of your fetus or your lunch on instagram. If you wanted to make that extra remark, a simple period before starting a new sentence would be more appropriate. Hashtags started as a twitter thing, although they also work on instagram. I would venture to assume that they will also eventually work for Facebook as well, but for now they do not so just stop using them there, mkay?

I will now provide the class with some samples to show the appropriate use of hashtags:

Example 1:
I post a humerous tweet about my new lifestyle choice (which I will obviously talk your ear off about if you’re interested…or if you encounter me in the office kitchen and ask why I am eating “rice” made from cauliflower):
 Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

See that #paleo hashtag and how it is blue? I can now click on that hashtag to see other things people are posting about the paleo diet. Neat, huh?
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Example 2:
I post a humerous tweet about how irritated I am over the misuse of hashtags, giving it a ridiculously long and unimportant hashtag:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

See how the hashtag is still blue? I can now click on it and…wait, what?! You mean no one else posted a hashtag about the stupid and unimportant thing I hashtagged?? How could that be?!
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Alright everyone, lets take today’s lesson and go back to our social media applications and stop looking stupid by posting things like #IalmostcriedwhenIsawmybabyonthesonogram or #IlovethissandwichsomuchIwouldmarryitandhavebabieswithitandposttheirsonogramsoninstagram

No comments: