Find Me Other Places Too:



   Instagram  

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bombay House knockoff

I love Indian food. I love it! I would eat at Bombay house on a regular basis if I could afford it... hint: if I could afford it. So a few weeks ago I decided to figure out how to make some Paneer Masala on my own. With confidence that I could do it, and an online recipe in hand, I made my way to the Indian market. Round one was a'ight, so I started messing around with the recipe. After a lot of experimenting and tweaking ( I have made probably 4 batches) I have perfected what I feel is the closest to Bombay House's Paneer Masala. I share my recipe with you now. Enjoy!

Paneer Masala

1 block of Paneer, chopped into squares (you can find this at the Indian market)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T Garlic
1 T Coriander
1 t Garam Masala (again- Indian market)
1/2 t chili powder (more if you like it really spicy)
1- 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes, pureed
Oil - 3 tbsp
Salt - to taste

Heat a large skillet with 2 T of oil. When the oil is hot, add in the chopped Paneer and cook until browned. Drain the paneer onto a plate with a paper towel to absorb the access oil. Next add the remaining 1 T of oil to the same skillet and brown the chopped onion. Once browned, add the garlic, coriander, garam masala, and chili powder. Cook for about 1 minute or until well blended. Next add in the paneer and the tomatoe paste. Add salt to taste. Cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Serve over rice or with naan.

1 comment:

Jane Bauman said...

I am so going to make this! I doubt it will turn out as well as when you make it, but it is worth a shot. Thanks Kirsten!! I am so excited!